About WB LSCB
Welcome to the West Berkshire Local Safeguarding Children Board (WB LSCB) website.
The purpose of the West Berkshire Local Safeguarding Children Board (WB LSCB) is to ensure that everyone is working together towards the safety and wellbeing of children and young people. It is a statutory body established under the Children Act 2004. It is independently chaired and consists of senior representatives of all the principal agencies and organisations working together to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people in West Berkshire.
Its statutory objectives are:
- to coordinate what is done by each person or body represented on the Board for the purposes of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children in the area; and
- to ensure the effectiveness of what is done by each such person or body for those purposes.
The functions of Local Safeguarding Children Boards are set out in more detail in Working Together to Safeguard Children 2018 – A guide to inter-agency working to safeguard and promote the welfare of children
- Develop local policies and procedures for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
- Communicate to local people and organisations the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, raising their awareness of how this can best be done and encouraging them to do so
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of what is done by the authority and Board partners individually and collectively to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and advise them on ways to improve
- Participate in the planning of services for children in the area of the authority
- Undertake reviews of serious cases and advise the authority and their Board partners on lessons to be learned.
All of our activity is underpinned by the following principles:
- Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility.
- We will learn from individual experiences and have a positive impact upon young lives
- We will champion and protect the safeguarding needs of vulnerable children and young people
- Our work is characterised by an attitude of ‘high support’ and constructive professional ‘high challenge’
- To foster a culture of continuous review and learning with evidence based practice
West Berkshire LSCB’s Vision
Our vision is for our most vulnerable children, including those looked after by the local authority, to be effectively safeguarded and protected and to achieve outcomes that are every bit as good as their peers across all areas of their lives. In order to achieve this vision for children and families in West Berkshire, LSCB partners will ‘ensure the effectiveness’ of local provision to integrate and co-ordinate our efforts, to deliver services that are – at the very least – “good”, if not outstanding.
To achieve this we will build on the existing strengths we have in West Berkshire and on the principles already established in the Brilliant West Berkshire: Building Community Together programme. We work ‘with each other’ and ‘with our community’ (not doing ‘to’ or ‘for’), modelling ‘high support and high challenge.’
West Berkshire’s LSCB priorities sit within a wider strategic framework led by West Berkshire Health & Well-Being Board (H&WBB) and the Children’s Delivery Group. We are focused on improving outcomes for our local children, young people and their families.
West Berkshire LSCB Priorities
1. To ensure the effectiveness of safeguarding in Early Help and Targeted Prevention services
2. To improve our effectiveness in the prevention and identification of, and safeguarding our children from, neglect
3. To continue to improve the effectiveness of support and safeguarding of children living with domestic abuse, substance misuse, and emotional ill-health
4. To continue to improve the safeguarding and protection of children at risk of sexual exploitation, and to strengthen our work in identifying, disrupting and prosecuting potential perpetrators
5. To increase the effectiveness of the WB LSCB, including being able to respond and react quickly to local changes or risks in West Berkshire, which directly impact on safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and families
Terms of Reference and Board Membership
The WB LSCB Terms of Reference set out the purpose and function of the Board. They also describe operational arrangements and governance and list current membership.
The West Berkshire annual report, which is published each September, evaluates the effectiveness of safeguarding arrangements for children and young people in West Berkshire.
- Children and young people’s annual report version 2014/15
- Children and young people’s annual report version 2015/16
Leadership and Governance
The WB LSCB Leadership and Governance is brought together by Alex Walters, Independent Chair of West Berkshire LSCB